A part of the St Andrew’s Convalescent Home for soldiers, Kalamunda which is now St Brigid’s College Lesmurdie.
The western side, and only completed section, of a building originally planned as a school by Herbert Parry and built for Archibald Sanderson MLC on his Lesmurdie Estate. In 1919 the property and some adjacent land was purchased by the Commonwealth Government and converted into a convalescent home for returned soldiers. The original plans were adapted and the entire building completed with the eastern side in the “Dutch Colonial” style and based on Cecil Rhodes home in South Africa. (See photograph, drawings and article published in the Western Mail 11 April 1919, p.24 (p.23 in Trove) and p.29).
See photograph from the 1920s here.
Can anyone assist us with the location of, and any information about, this stone and timber property?
This image is a part of a collection of Dr. J. S. Battye’s glass negatives taken between 1910 and 1920. Many photographs in this collection were taken by E. L. Mitchell but there is nothing on the negative to identify the photographer or the subject.
We are always delighted to receive further information about the images in the State Library photographic collections.
To respond please click into the speech bubble just above the photograph.