A sanitorium was built to manage people suffering from tuberculosis in Western Australia in the early 1900’s. Treatment of TB was focused on fresh air and sunshine. The site at Wooroloo was chosen because of the beauty of the countryside and elevation of the site. Patients with leprosy were also isolated at Wooroloo.
Wooroloo is located 60km north east of Perth and 26km north east of Mundaring. The State Library of Western Australia (SLWA) has several images of staff and buildings at Wooroloo Sanitorium, many taken by photographer L.E. Shapcott. The sanitorium opened 8 October 1914.
Lee-Anne Atkinson has created a site “The Gardens – Family History” with some images of headstones at the cemetery at Wooroloo.
The website Billion Graves has some images of headstones at Wooroloo cemetery online. Go to BillionGraves
Image 000611D shows a crowd at the opening ceremony in 1914.
Image 000608D shows some of the buildings used by patients.