As a tribute to the Tour de France, a Collection Liaison Librarian here at the State Library has put together a list of some of the best cycle racing photographs in our collection.
Though the bicycles and outfits might’ve changed (high-vis leotard anyone?), the thrill of the race and the cheers of the crowd have continued on.
1. Cycle race, Mt Magnet to Black Range, c1908
2. A Goldfields bicycle racing club in the thirties
3. Cyclists at the Perth British Empire and Commonwealth Games train on the road, 1962
4. An English cyclist trains, 1962
5. Start of a cycle race, Coolgardie, c1898-1899
6. The 120 mile road race held in King’s Park, 1962
7. In the 120 mile road race England’s Wesley Mason flashed to the front with 200 yards to go and pipped Tony Walsh to the finish, 1962
8. Aero bicycles and cycle racing in Western Australia, c1920s
9. Photograph of a photograph of H. Fraser, Boulder Cycling Club 40 Mile Road Race Club Champion, 1906-1907
10. Henk Vogels riding in the Armadale Classic Criterium, c1992
Click here to see these photographs and more on our catalogue.